Get Help at 1-888-924-3862
Escape Site In case you are being monitored, use this button to escape site quickly and be redirected to Google.


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)


How can I get help if I am a domestic violence victim?

Please contact us at 1-888-924-3862 or email to learn about your rights and options.


What can I expect when I call CHETNA?

Your call will be answered by a trained advocate, who is there to LISTEN. If you choose to seek help, we can guide you through your options to achieve your goals, emotional or physiological. Your privacy and safety are our top priorities.


Can I call the police if I am being abused and am an undocumented immigrant (commonly known as “illegal alien”)?

You can call 911 in case of emergency. Domestic violence is a crime regardless of your legal status. You have the legal right to keep your immigration status private. You do not have to tell the police or a shelter what your immigration status is.


Will immigration authorities be called if I call the police?

The immigration authorities and your local police are separate organizations. Everyone, regardless of his or her immigration status, is entitled to seek legal protection against domestic violence.


Can I get an Order of Protection/Restraining Order even though I am not a U.S. citizen or legal resident?

Yes. You do not need to be a U.S citizen or legal resident to get an order of protection/restraining order. Also see


How can I speak to an immigration attorney if I cannot afford one?

If you cannot afford to pay for an attorney, you may qualify for free legal aid. Contact us at 1-888-924-3862  for more information.